Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 Recap

I know that it's not very original to write a "best and worst of", but sometimes things like this are ubiquitous because they are good and people want to hear it.  With that being said, here goes...

Designers
My 2008 favorites: 
1. Phillip Lim definitely tops the list
2. Alexander Wang takes a close second
3. Caroline Hedaya for fantastic flirty party dresses

Models 
1. most overrated: Agyness Deyn
2. one deserving of the hype: who else, but crazy coKate Moss.  She's a hot drugged mess, but you gotta love her
3. new favorite: Chanel Iman Despite the fact that I saw her bite it on the Rosa Cha runway during Fashion Week, she got up and kept strutting.  

Best Singing ensemble
Beyonce singing "Single Ladies" on SNL
I am obsessed with the structured Balenciaga-esque leotard that she wore.  Still searching the web to figure out who designed it (if you happen to discover this please let me know!)  

People that need to just GO AWAY in 2009
1. The entire cast of "The Hills", especially Heidi and Spencer.  I've yet to watch "The City", but I can't imagine spending a half an hour watching Whitney Port's life adapt to Manhattan living.  I'm way too consumed with living my own here in the city thank you very much.  
2. Tyra Banks, stop trying to be Oprah.
3. Kimora Lee, not to be critical, is it just me or does her neck look like an elephant trunk? What's with all of the wrinkles? There are so many more on her neck than the rest of her body and face!  Did she secretly used to be a member of Ndebele tribe and then took off all of the necklaces to reveal her stretched out neck skin?  It still remains a mystery...

People I want to see more of in 2009:
Robert Pattinson.  I'm sorry, I am officially a dork.  Feel free to laugh, but I am knees deep into the Twilight craze.  It makes me forget all about Harry Potter, besides Pattinson is far better looking than Danielle Radcliffe ever hoped to be.  Also, not to mention that Harry's "Potter" is um.. how should I say this very proportional to his small stature after having seen him in his play, Equus.  Pattinson remains to be seen.  Let's just say that I hope he becomes involved in theatre.

Best Play
Speed the Plow. I'll take any excuse to see Jeremy Piven.  This play isn't much of a stretch for him though, it's basically Entourage live.

Best Dressed (Women)                                    
The Olsens 
Rihanna 
MIA 
Kate Moss
Maggie Gylenhall
Hellen Mirren
Michelle Obama
 
Worst Dressed
Madge
Mischa Barton
Posh-I know many will disagree with me here, but the thing I dislike most about her style is that it is too put together.  It never has an effortless quality to it, which is my number one aesthetic philosophy.
Blake Lively (she's not really the worst dressed, but she bugs me so much so I felt the need to say it.  Why doesn't she move her top lip when speaking?  Is that what she considers acting to be? pouting her lips? ugh)

Best Dressed (Men)
Mark Ronson
Justin Timberlake
Mikhail Baryshnikov
Julian Schnabel (the only man that can pull of pjs besides Hef)
Kanye West (even though he is way too cocky)

Best Dressed Couple
Brad and Angie of course.  However, this could be debatable considering the fact that they could wear a garbage bag and still be the most desired couple in the room.
Carla Bruny  and Nicholas Sarkozy
Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale 

Best Dressed Baby
This one is a tie.. Suri Cruise/Holmes and Kingston Stefani/Rossdale

No comments: